Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My Cereal Has What In It??

The other day when I was grocery shopping I realized something really unfortunate. Special K cereal had high fructose corn syrup in it!! I avoid hfcs like the plague, but I never even thought to check something like SPECIAL K! I was so annoyed. I continued down the cereal aisle and found that MOST CEREAL has hfcs in it. None of the cereal in the organic aisle had hfcs listed in the ingredients, but my issue with most organic cereal is that it's usually not fortified with vitamins and minerals and I really like getting a good dose of iron, magnesium, etc. in my breakfast cereal. The following is a list of fortified cereal that did not contain hfcs:

Cheerios
Grape Nuts
Quaker Oat Squares
Kashi (most, not all)
Shredded Wheat
Life (cinnamon and regular)
Crispix
Wheaties
Fiber One
Rice + Wheat Chex
Total

Surprisingly a lot of the sugary cereals like Lucky Charms, Count Chocula, etc. all contain real sugar and not hfcs, but they contain so much sugar that they are not the best choice to get your morning started right. So check those labels because what you find might shock you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment