Sunday, September 4, 2011

Mango Black Bean Salsa



Slowly but surely my cooking skills are improving! Instead of getting frustrated by trying to follow recipes exactly, I have decided to boldly go out on my own and completely invent recipes that seem like they'd be good. So far, success! This particular mango black bean salso recipe I have to give props to my friend KP. I tweaked it a little bit (mostly because I forgot about some of the ingredients), and it is delicious!

Recipe for Baked Tilapia with Homemade Mango Black Bean Salsa over Quinoa and Wild Rice:

1. Brush tilapia with olive oil and lemon juice. Sprinkle garlic salt and lemon pepper, wrap in parchment paper+foil and pop in toaster oven at 375 for 25 minutes.

2. Prepare 1/8 c. (dry) quinoa and 1/4 c. (dry) wild rice in separate saucepans.

3. Chop 1/2 a mango, 1/4 avocado, 1/8 red onion, 1/2 tomato (remove the seeds), a few fresh mint leaves, and combine with about 1/3 c. black beans, kosher salt, and 1 tbsp. agave nectar

4. Mix quinoa and wild rice, place fish on top, then top it off with your salsa! (I only needed about half of the salsa mix) Enjoy!!


**Helpful Hints**
The ingredients I left out include cucumber, white wine vinegar, and hot sauce. I also subbed agave nectar for sugar. I'll definitely be trying it with those added ingredients next time! The wild rice I used was not a mix with white rice since I try to avoid that. It was all wild rice...I had never seen it before but I found it at the grocery store yesterday. The brand I used was Gourmet House 100% Natural Minnesota Quick Cooking Wild Rice. It took 5 minutes and was delish. Since the quinoa takes about twice as long, start that first.

No comments:

Post a Comment