Saturday, January 14, 2012

Turkey Sloppy Joes...Or Something Like It...

Today was a snowy, blustery, cold day so naturally all I wanted was some hot comfort food for dinner. I found a recipe for paleo sloppy joes but the recipe called for some ingredients I didn't have and I was WAY too lazy to go out to the grocery store so I found substitutions that did the trick. I didn't have ground beef, so I used ground turkey (all white meat); didn't have a can of diced tomatoes so I used organic pasta sauce that only had about five ingredients--pureed tomatoes being the main ingredient so I figured it would work and it did! It turned out really well and it was super easy to make. Here's what I did:
1. Dice 1 yellow pepper and 1/4 white onion and sauteed
2. Heat up about a cup or so (I used about a half a jar) of pasta sauce in medium size sauce pan; add a couple shakes of chili powder, black pepper, oregano, basil, and cumin.
3. When peppers and onions are sauteed, add them to pasta sauce and continue to simmer
4. Saute ground turkey and chop it up with a spatula
5. When meat is thoroughly cooked, add to saucepan and mix all ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment