Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Burger In A Bowl

I absolutely love burgers--I eat them at least 3-4x a week, whether it be lean beef, turkey, or bison in form. Lately I've been growing impatient waiting for my burgers to cook, so the other night I invented what I call "burger in a bowl". It's a paleo-friendly, super healthy, high protein meal. The picture doesn't really make it look very attractive, I know...but I promise it is filling and delicious!

1. Saute onions and mushrooms (or whatever veggies you like!) in a big pan for a few minutes in extra virgin olive oil.
2. Once veggies are almost sauteed to your liking push them off to one side of the pan and add ground turkey/bison/lean beef in the same pan and mash it up with a spatula (I use 1/3-1/2 lb depending on how hungry I am).
3. When your meat is thoroughly cooked, mix together with the veggies and put entire concoction into a bowl and enjoy your burger in a bowl!

**I also like to stir in a tablespoon-ish of homemade ketchup. I make my own because nearly every kind has added sugar (or HFCS!! ew), though some organic ketchups have much less sugar.

2 comments:

  1. Paleo Ketchup
    1 small can (384 mL/12 oz) of plain, sugar-free tomato sauce
    1 small can (6 oz) tomato paste
    2 tsp vinegar (I used apple cider)
    3/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    a pinch of ground cloves
    1/4 tsp allspice Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Let cool and transfer to container and then into fridge.

    ReplyDelete