Monday, January 23, 2012

5 Minute Scallops

I'm not huge on weird sea creatures, but I absolutely LOVE scallops. Every time they appear on a menu I order them...I just never thought I could actually make them. I was convinced I would food poison myself or my husband so I always shied away from trying to cook them. As luck would have it, while I was grocery shopping the other day, I saw that the seafood counter had a sign for fresh scallops so I went out on a limb. Turns out, scallops are really simple to make...and it literally takes about 4 minutes. Since I knew the scallops would only take a few minutes to prepare, I made the topping first--Just threw some extra virgin olive oil, garlic, and sundried tomato in a pan and set aside.

Pan-Seared Scallops
1. Heat frying pan first. Wait until it's really hot, then add coconut oil. (Coconut oil is awesome to cook with at high heats because it doesn't break down--and in terms of searing scallops it adds a bit of sweetness, and it's SO good!)
2. Place scallops in pan on their flat side. Leave them alone and don't touch them for about 2 and a half minutes. After that time, peek under one and make sure it has that golden brown caramel-y color. You don't want to flip the scallops more than once. If it is the right color, flip the scallops and let them cook about a minute and thirty seconds on the second side. Again, peek under one, make sure it's golden brown, then take them out of the pan immediately, pour your topping over and enjoy!

*The scallops will continue to cook after you remove them from the pan so you want to eat them fairly quickly after cooking so they don't get rubbery. I served them over a bed of romaine.

No comments:

Post a Comment