Friday, October 7, 2011

On-The-Go Nutrition

Today I made a delightful discovery. I tried a taste of Steve's Original PaleoKit and was amazed at how delicious it was! (Thanks Jenna for opening that package up!) Since going Paleo I've been looking for some quick grab-n-go items and my CrossFit trainers had mentioned PaleoKits. They had one on display at our gym and frankly it appeared as though it was the offspring of shit and barf. Don't let it's odd look fool you...it's delicious! It's a tasty mix of free-range jerky, nuts, and dried fruit. (These also make for a great, nutritious snack for kids with gluten, dairy, wheat, or soy allergies!) I'm definitely going to be purchasing some of these! Unfortunately at about 5 bucks a pop, these PaleoKits are on the pricey side so I won't be relying on them. It got me thinking about how to put together my own convenient Paleo snack bags. Here are some ideas I've come up with thus far!

1. Turkey slices, cut up veggies, almonds.
2. A banana almond butter sandwich. (Cut the banana in half lengthwise, and spread almond butter in the middle).
3. Baby carrots, dried fruit, walnuts.
4. Beef jerky, macadamia nuts, raisins.
5. Make your own Lara Bars (throw some dates, unsweetened dried apricots/cherries/etc, cashews, almonds in a food processor)--haven't tried this yet, it might need a bit of honey or coconut oil to hold it together.
6. Hardboiled eggs, an apple, unsalted pistachio nuts.
7. Ants on a log! Celery filled with almond butter, topped with a few raisins.

Some items you can mix together and others, like hardboiled eggs and fruit for instance, keep in separate small baggies. All of these options contain protein and fiber to keep you feeling full. I've found that cutting up veggies the night before and putting them in little snack bags makes it really easy to grab the next morning. I used to be very reliant on protein bars, but I'm glad I have transitioned away from that. They are not only expensive, but filled with a bunch of artificial garbage. Real food is always the better choice! And remember, lunchboxes aren't just for little kids! You can even get cooler packs to put in your lunchbox to keep your food cold. Happy snacking :)

No comments:

Post a Comment