Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My Two Cents on the C-Curve

Anyone who has ever taken a Pilates class, be it equipment or mat, you have done exercises in what we refer to as "the c-curve", or as some teachers call it "the scoop". This is a position (either seated or supine) where your upper body is rounded in order to engage the deeper belly muscles. Well, Joseph Pilates, I have a problem with this. Every time I teach I sound like a broken record-- "drop your shoulders", "shoulders down", "relax the tops of your shoulders"... I must be so annoying to listen to, but it's super important to not hold tension in your neck and shoulders. I've noticed how it's nearly impossible to not round your shoulders in a c-curve. After much practice I can draw my scapulae together and keep my shoulders back, yet still keep a scooped rounded position in my belly in a c-curve, but it's hard and it takes a lot of bodily awareness. I think that one thing Pilates does that is wonderful is that it counteracts all of the slumping over people do day in and day out (think sitting at a computer, driving, or even texting!) If we continue to work in such a round shoulder position, it's going to start to become a habit. I've been trying to get my clients away from such a dramatic rounded position because I think it's time for a little update in the Pilates world. As long as you are engaging your core in the same way as you work in a c-curve position, there's no need to pull your shoulder blades apart and round forward--I find that it adds no benefit. So next time you are in a Pilates class try it! The best place to feel the difference is in a roll down. Begin sitting up nice and tall, legs extended in front of you, heels together, toes apart. Your arms should be extended out in front of you, palms facing each other. Sit next to a mirror so you can see your reflection sideways. Now drop and relax your shoulders away from your ears. Begin to pull your belly in toward your spine coming into a c-curve position. Now check out your shoulders--see how awfully rounded forward they are? Plug them back, but keep your belly right where it is! Continue to roll all the way down, pulling your belly in and shoulders down and back (as much as you can without the belly coming out of a curved position), and articulate your spine all the way down onto the mat until you are completely supine and your arms come up over head. Inhale, raise your arms in front of you, fingertips toward the ceiling, and on an exhale tuck your chin into your chest and raise yourself back up with your abdominals and keep thinking about pulling your shoulders back as you reverse the motion of the spine back up into a nice tall seated position. I know it seems counter intuitive to pull the shoulders back while your midsection is rounded forward, but I believe that once you find that sweet spot where you are engaging both your shoulder blades and your belly, you will be working in a much healthier and more productive position. Fellow Pilates instructors, what do you think about this? I'd love to hear feedback! (BTW, I know the comment feature has some glitches so feel free to tweet me @PilatesEllie or drop a note on facebook--feel free to add me as a friend!) Thanks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment