Thursday, November 3, 2011

Hot Yoga and Sickness


It's that time of year again! It seems everyone around me is getting sick, including my husband. One of the joys of married life is that when your partner gets sick, you know it's headed your way in about T-24 hours. At the first signs of his sickness I start drinking Emergen-C, taking Zicam, and getting my tush into hot yoga. Contrary to popular belief, the vitamin C and zinc don't really prevent you from getting sick but they most certainly cut down on the duration of your sickness. I don't condone going to any exercise class when you are actually sick--it's not good for you, and it's just plain rude! One of my pet peeves is when the person 5 inches from me at yoga is hacking, wheezing, sneezing, and inevitably breathing and sweating in my zone. Grody! I do believe, however, that a regular exercise routine, whatever it is, helps prevent illness. There is something about yoga though, and in particular hot yoga, that really aids in detoxifying the body. Hot yoga classes are typically classes in a studio that are heated from about 85-105 degrees with about 40-60% humidity. Interestingly enough, raising your core body temperature stimulates a fever-like environment in your body which jumpstarts white blood cell production, fighting and preventing viruses and bacteria. Your body also produces something called interferon, which raises the production of antibodies. Additionally hot yoga aids in alleviating anxiety and stress in your body through pranayama (breath) and other relaxation techniques. Stress contributes to a weakened immune system, therefore the less tension you hold in your body, the healthier you will be physically (mentally and emotionally as well). So get yourself into a hot yoga studio during these chilly months...you won't regret it! Namaste :)




*Photo credit Peter Stevenson

1 comment:

  1. I can't do yoga (boo-hoo) due to bad wrists and knees....but after my pilates reformer sessions I always like to spend time in the steam room at my club. I tend to do breathing exercises and practice core muscle contraction and stretches (if I have the room to myself) while there for as long as I can stand it. Now I know that besides feeling good it may be good for my health and immunity....nothing to sniff at ;-)

    ReplyDelete