Saturday, August 13, 2011

Healthy Pad Thai


Ok so I love me some Pad Thai. There is a great little Thai place in town that I was getting take out from...like thrice a week. As I've said before, I eat healthy but if there is something I really want I eat it and don't worry about it because after all, life is meant to be enjoyed and I enjoy eating delicious foods. That being said, pad thai is not always the healthiest item because of all of the oil and noodles. I decided to look up a recipe for pad thai and add my own healthy twist to it. I came up with a great recipe and the whole thing is under 200 calories....oh yes. For a hefty serving size too!! I can't just eat three bites and be full....I work out all day long so I need a volume of food. Trust me, this is good! Note....to punch up the protein add extra egg white, more nuts, or throw in some tofu or chicken. You can also play with the ingredients. Don't like cabbage? Use bean sprouts. Allergic to peanuts? Try cashews. You get the idea.

Ellie's Pad Thai:
1 package of Shirataki noodles (you can find these at an Asian grocery if your super market doesn't sell them)
2 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce (or sub tamari)
1 clove of garlic chopped/minced
1 tsp chili paste (or 1/2 if you don't like it as spicy)
1 tsp fresh ginger minced
1 tsp of warmed agave nectar
1 tsp fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
pinch of salt (don't need that much because of soy sauce/tamari)
1/2 tsp of freshly ground pepper
1/4 c grated napa cabbage
1/4 c chopped peanuts
1/4 c grated carrots
1 pan fried egg whites (use an olive oil sprayer or Pam...just a spritz is all you need!)

*adapted from one of Bethenny Frankel's recipes. seriously, check out her books. i use "skinny girl dish" all the time for great recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment