Monday, May 14, 2012

Healthy Eating On The Road

I'm back! Finally...my new computer arrived and I can resume blogging :) Missed you guys! I also just returned from a weekend trip to Pittsburgh, which is about a 6.5 hour drive from home. I found some great, healthy choices for food on the road and thought I would share. First of all, whenever I head out on the road I always pack a lunchbox full of snacks and food that won't go bad. I know it's kind of dorky to take a lunchbox with you but I'm always glad I have it when I need it. I fill it with a few apples, some packets of almond butter, a couple PaleoKits, few small bags of organic beef jerky, raisins, almonds, etc. Just a bunch of healthy snacks that don't require refrigeration. During the drive itself, I was in need of lunch. We decided to swing through Wendy's, which I would normally never eat at, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I was pleasantly surprised with my lunch! I ordered a small cup of chili which is completely gluten free! I also got a large Berry Almond Chicken Salad--no cheese, no dressing. I was really surprised by the totally decent quality of chicken. It wasn't free range or anything, but it was real chunks of chicken breast and not that creepy spongy chicken. Total success! On the drive home we stopped at Sheetz, a gas station basically. If you live in the Midwest and go on road trips, you know how awesome Sheetz is. Anyway, you can customize food to order so I ordered a salad with double the amount of grilled chicken, tomatoes, pepper, and jalapeƱo. The chicken wasn't quite the quality of Wendy's, but it wasn't terrible. I also got a bowl of pre cut raw veggies for a snack. All in all my road trip food was not bad. It's not all that difficult to find foods that work for your healthy eating plan....when in doubt there's always a salad you can get without cheese or dressing! If there isn't a protein that comes with it you can always order a grilled chicken breast sandwich, toss the bun and throw the chicken on your salad. Just because drive through is the only food available doesn't mean you have to order a double cheeseburger with fries or alternatively, go hungry. Just get creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment