Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Run, Forrest, Run!


Ok y'all, as you know I HATE running. Every time there is running in one of our workouts at CrossFit I whine like a little girl. Maybe I'm slow, maybe I'm a weeny...I don't know. I'm just not good at it and I hate doing things I'm not good at. I also used to get incredibly sore and tight, especially in my lower legs. Before I began crossfit, the last time I tried to run any significant distance (um, more than two miles, less than 3...haha) I hurt my hip like a 90 year old woman. I began crossfitting in a pair of Nikes and as usual, after every workout that included running, my Achilles tendon felt tight, my calves felt like hell, and my joints were sore. I chalked it up to being an inexperienced runner and that my body just needed to get used to the movement. A few months later I bought a pair of Inov8s because, well, that's what all the other crossfitters were wearing. I really loved their minimalist feel, but running felt awkward. The shoes almost forced me to run more on the ball of my foot, taking a shorter stride. I used to use my long legs to my advantage and try to take as long of a stride as possible, but in these shoes it hurt my heels to do that. I suppose this is what my coach was talking about when he told me to stop "heel striking". Anyway, after any of our runs, sprints, or intervals, my legs stopped hurting. At the time I figured it was just because my body was finally getting used to running. In the early winter, my best friend Julia, a marathon runner, sent me the book Born To Run. She has been trying to get me to run since high school and I have avidly refused for years. (Good luck in the Boston Marathon next week, J!!!!) I read the book in about three days...it was one of the most fascinating reads ever. I suggest this book to anyone who loves, hates, or feels indifferent toward running--it's really just an awesome book. After reading Born to Run, I realize now why my legs have stopped hurting so much. The Inov8 shoe forces me to run CORRECTLY...the way my body was designed to run. This is not really a triumph story. I still hate running, but at least there is no pain or injury that comes along with it anymore. No more excuses to not run. So since I hate it so much, I signed up for the Tough Mudder this June in Indiana....10 miles!!! Yikes. I'll keep you updated on my progress. Here' are some visuals to see how minimalist or barefoot running can help you:

No comments:

Post a Comment